Thursday, March 6, 2008

Whole Wheat Bread

This is for Makenzie so she won't have to write it out again and so she won't have to remember where she put it again. This bread is perfect in every way. It is a huge recipe, too, that will easily make 5 loaves.
1/2 C. warm water
2 T. yeast
1/4 tsp. sugar
5 C. warm water
2/3 C. oil
2/3 C. honey
2 T. salt
6 C. whole wheat flour
6 C. white flour
1/4 C. gluten
Start yeast in 1/2 C. warm water with sugar
In a large bowl combine 5 C. water with oil, honey, and salt. Mix until combined.
In a different bowl combine wheat flour with white flour and gluten. Add three cups of flour mixture to water,oil,honey mixture.
Add yeast mixture to the other and mix until combined.
Add 6 more cups of flour. MIX WITH DOUGH HOOK. ADD FLOUR 1/2 C AT A TIME UNTIL DOUGH IS PLIABLE AND STICKY.
LET RISE to double size. Punch down and divide into 5 balls. Roll out each ball flat, then roll up like a cinnamon roll and put into greased loaf pan. Let rise a little longer, then bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes.

3 comments:

allyn said...

sorry about the all caps instructions. banks was "helping" me and pushing the caps lock. it was the second time i had typed the recipe and didn't want to mess with it. i am not yelling at you to mix with dough hooks, but it does make it easier.

Angie (Drowns) Kelly said...

I always 'misplace' my wheat bread recipe too McKenzie.... I'm sure this one is good and I'm glad you girls have a recipe blog!

allyn said...

I just looked this up because I didn't remember posting it (6yrs ago) I half this recipe because it is too much for year 6qt kitchen aid stand mixer to mix. Also, when I make it I start out with 2 1/2 C hot water to mix with the salt oil and honey, then another full cup to start the yeast. And I don't really add gluten, but it is nice.