Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Tortellini Soup

I'm so ready for Spring, but right now it's snowing sideways outside.  Winter is mocking me.  But the joke is on winter, because I'm happy to stay inside as long as I have soup to keep me warm. 
 
This is one of my favorite soups.  Some soups are delicious, but work best as a side dish (like my Cream of Carrot Soup.  yum!) and some soups are just "stuff floating in water" (as my husband so eloquently put it) and are only delicious if you have a stomach bug and are craving something bland.  This soup is neither.  This soup is a meal.  ("I want a MEAL!")  It will fill you up and make you happy.  So there, winter!
 


Tortellini Soup

1 lb. Italian sausage
1 c. chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, crushed
5 cups beef broth
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 c. thinly sliced carrots
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
2 cups cheese-filled tortellini
1 1/2 c. sliced zucchini
3 T. chopped fresh parsley

In a large soup pot, brown sausage over medium heat.  Remove sausage and drain all but 1 tsp remaining fat from the pot.  (If sausage is very lean, you may need to add a little olive oil to prevent sticking and burning.)  Saute onion and garlic in pot.  While the onion softens, slice carrots. 

When onions are soft, add beef broth, red wine vinegar (Full disclosure: I've never used red wine vinegar in this soup, so I'm not sure what magic I'm missing.  Do not substitute regular vinegar.  If you don't have it, just leave it out.  The soup will still be tasty.), tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, sausage and 2 cups water.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer 30 minutes, uncovered.

While soup simmers, slice zucchini and chop parsley.  (Secretly I've never used fresh parsley, either.  My whole life is a lie!)  Skim fat from soup.  Stir in zucchini and parsley.  Simmer covered for 15 minutes.

Add tortellini and simmer five more minutes, or until tortellini is al dente.  Serve and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Makes 8 servings.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

Beautiful! Ah, Jeff. "Stuff floating in water."

kenzie said...

David's opinion of soup is twins with Jeff's. I love soup and make it all the time. I'm glad to have another one to add to my weekly soup rotation.

Katy said...

This looks and sounds delicious!