Thursday, February 28, 2013

Banana Nut Bread

I noticed Mom was using this recipe and it reminded me that this is the PERFECT banana bread.  It cooks evenly all the way through, there is a fun nut topping, it looks pretty.  I put it in the second Sisters Cookbook (page 11).  This is the only way I'll eat a banana.  (Bleh.  They make my tongue tingle if I try to eat them straight up.)  This makes two loaves, one for you, one for everyone else to share.

In a small bowl, mix together (for the topping):

1/2 c. chopped nuts (I always use walnuts)
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

In a large bowl (or mixer) combine the following until it is mostly smooth:

1/2 c. unsalted, softened butter
1/2 c. sour cream
1 c. sugar
1 c. mashed bananas
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Divide the dough into two loaf pans.  Sprinkle the sugar/cinnamon/nut mixture evenly over both loaves.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted into the middle of the loaf comes out clean.  Transfer the loaves to tin foil immediately and wrap them up.  (This preserves the moisture and helps the topping stay on.)

No comments: