Panda Express Kung Pao Chicken1 lb. 1/2" cubed chicken breasts
1 small egg
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
2 green onions
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 T. soy sauce
1 T. cornstarch dissolved in 1 T. cold water
1 tsp. rice wine vinegar
2 divided T. vegetable oil
1 chunked red pepper
1 chunked green pepper
1 chunked small zucchini
1 tsp. minced garlic (2 cloves)
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
Sugar, to taste
1/2 cup dry-roasted peanuts
4 cups cooked white rice
- In a zip-top bag, combine meat with egg, water, cornstarch, and salt; marinate, chilled, for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice the green onions, both the white part and greens, into 1/2" pieces.
- Combine water and soy sauce , stir in dissolved cornstarch and rice wine vinegar, and chill.
- About 20 minutes before serving time, heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a hot wok (or large frying pan). Stir meat, drain, and discard marinade.
- Quickly stir-fry the meat for 60-90 seconds. Transfer to a large container.
- Stir-fry the peppers until almost tender. Add the onions and zucchini, remove, and reserve with meat.
- Heat the remaining oil and stir-fry garlic and season with pepper flakes and ginger.
- Stir the reserved sauce mixture before pouring into seasoned garlic. heat through to thicken. Sweeten to taste with sugar, adding a bit more ginger and/or red pepper flakes, as needed.
- Add cooked food to sauce and stir in peanuts. Serve over hot rice.