Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Crockpot Chicken & Apples

I am always looking for healthier crockpot recipes. I have no problem using cream-based, condensed soup occasionally but sometimes it feels like that's all I find. So when I run across stuff like this I love it, also it's about 20 minutes of prep-time which is awesome. The recipe says this makes 4-6 servings but I feel like it stretches further than that for us. I serve it over brown rice.*

6 oz frozen apple juice               2 garlic cloves minced
1/8 tsp nutmeg                           2-3 lbs chicken breast/ pieces
2 tsp curry                                 salt & pepper to taste
2 Tbsp butter                            3 granny smith apples (chopped)
1 onion chopped                       1/3 c chicken broth
                                                 1 Tbsp cornstarch


Combine butter, onions & garlic in bowl. Microwave 1-2 minutes until the onion is soft, spread it in the bottom of the crockpot.
Combine juice and spices, dip chicken in the mixture then lay it on the onions, pour remaining juice over the top, add salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours. Add apples and cook another 40-50 minutes, apples will be soft and the chicken cooked. Shred the chicken and then add it back to the pot.
Mix broth and cornstarch in small bowl-stir into crockpot. Cover and cook on high for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until thick. (It's only ever taken me 10 minutes, if that.)

*Making brown rice on the stove is so time consuming, and then if you stir it too much the starch will end up making it all gummy. I found this method to cooking brown rice a few years ago. It's so low maintenance and works every time. In a 9 "x 13" pan, add your rice and water (ratio is 1:2-I usually do 2c. rice/4c. water) a pinch of salt. Cover the pan with foil and cook in 375 degree oven for one hour. That's it!

1 comment:

allyn said...

This sounds very delicious. Love curry!!