Monday, April 8, 2013

Cornbread

Again.  It's not that I make cornbread that often.  It's just that when I do make it, I usually scramble around looking for that recipe that I liked.  Cornbread can so easily go wrong.  This is from the Blue Cornmeal label of the Bob's Red Mill Blue Cornmeal.  Don't tell him that I figured out that the cornmeal doesn't have to be blue :)  Shhh!

2 1/4 cups flour
1 3/4 cups cornmeal (your favorite color)
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup toasted pine nuts (or not)
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups whole milk (or evaporated)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk (I keep buttermilk powder around for these kind of surprises)
1 1/2 cups drained corn kernels (or not)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish.  Sift dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, eggs, and buttermilk.  Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just blended.  Add corn kernels.  Pour into prepared baking dish.  Bake until tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.  Serve warm.

1 comment:

Katy said...

Always good to have a good cornbread recipe on hand!