Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Brattens Famous Clam Chowder

Since I have had to hunt this recipe down twice, I decided to put it where I can find it from now on :)


Ingredients

    • 1 cup onions, finely chopped
    • 1 cup celery, finely diced
    • 2 cups very finely diced potatoes ( peeled)
    • 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams, and juice
    • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    • 3/4 cup butter ( not margarine)
    • 3/4 cup flour
    • 1 quart half-and-half ( cream)
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    • pepper

Directions

  1. Put the prepared vegetables in a saucepan.
  2. Drain juice from clams and pour over the vegetables.
  3. Add enough water to BARELY cover.
  4. Simmer, covered over medium heat till barely tender.
  5. (DO NOT overcook!).
  6. In the meantime, melt butter in another medium saucepan.
  7. Add flour.
  8. Blend and cook, stirring constantly; add the cream.
  9. Cook and stir with wire whip, until smooth and thick.
  10. It is important that you stir constantly while cooking.
  11. Add undrained vegetables, clams and vinegar.
  12. Heat through, but do not boil again.

3 comments:

Nicole said...

MAN! I wish Brian could eat this! I love clam chowder.

Jen said...

Substitute corn, bacon and chicken broth and I'm sure it's just as enjoyable :)

Mom said...

I've used this recipe for corn chowder ("clam chowder without the clams")for years. Or it's potato soup or vegetable chowder. I don't even add chicken broth, but the broth would probably make it even better. It's good to have this recipe on the blog!