Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Peaches and Cream Pie with Sugar Cookie Crust

I got this recipe from my friend Jen who got it from her favorite bakery. She says you can use any fruit with this, but peaches are her favorite. If you use peaches, be sure to blanch them in boiling water for 60 seconds, transfer to an ice water bath, and remove the skins before slicing. You don't have to peel nectarines, but be sure to wash the skins well. Don’t use frozen fruit. No good. You can also double this recipe and bake it in a 10X13 pan like I did.

Crust
1 stick butter (preferrably unsalted) softened
3 Tbs sugar ("sometimes I add more if I'm feeling naughty," says Jen)
1 Large Egg Yolk at room temp
3 Tbs heavy cream
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt

Filling
1 pound cream cheese
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla extract

Topping
2 1/2 cups thinly sliced ripe peaches

preheat oven to 375*

To make the crust: In a large bowl, on the low spread of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg yolk and cream, and mix well. Add the flour and salt, and beat until just combined. Gather the dough into a ball and roll it out on a lightly floured surface to fit into a 9 inch glass pie dish. Fold the edges under all around the rim and crimp. Prick the bottom and sides all over with the tines of a fork, Cover the edge of the pie crust with aluminum foil, place on a baking sheet, and bake for 10 min. Carefully remove the foil and continue baking 20 min more, until the crust is crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack.

To make the filling: In a large bowl, on the low speed of an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth and creamy. Add the heavy cream and vanilla, and continue to beat at low speed until well combined.

Refrigerate the filling while the crust is cooling. When the crust is completely cooled, spread the filling evenly in the crust with a rubber spatula. Arrange the sliced peaches on top of the filling in a decorative manner. Refrigerate the pie for at least 8 hours or overnight to ensure that the filling sets.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

YUM! Did you make this and not invite me over? That's going in my Book of Grievances for sure.

allyn said...

that sounds very delicious. i am so glad that it's here at last. i just made a peach pie a few weeks ago. why didn't i think of a cookie crust?! dang

Jen said...

Yum! I can't wait to try this!

melissa said...

I made it when we had the Peterson's over to say goodbye to Jeff's brother, Brian. They all asked for the recipe. Because it's AWESOME.

Grandma Win said...

This was absolutely delicious. Eddie and Lisa (who don't eat desserts) even ate it because everyone was raving about it!! It really called to me and I will make it myself for study group next month!!

Win Peterson (Jeff's grandmother)

Angie said...

This looks to die for! I'm adding your link to my blog, so a whole 3 more people might soon be checking it out!

Oh - if your wondering who I am, I'm a friend of Nicole's, and found the link on her blog. It's really great.

Thanks for the recipes!

Heather McKeon said...

So I just made this for our Sunday night family dinner/game night and it was a rave success! Ah-mazing. I just might have also had a piece for breakfast this morning, but that can't be confirmed at this time so I should probably have another piece after lunch to be sure.