Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Coconut Pecan Frosting for German Chocolate Cake

For years I thought my Mom's recipe for German Chocolate Cake frosting was a family specialty. Turns out it's from the Lion House Cookbook (the original one, page 83). Be careful with the egg yolks. The first three I put in got scrambled immediately because I had the heat turned up too high. Yuck. (I used a boxed cake, btw.)

3 egg yolks
1 c. sugar
1 c. evaporated milk
1/2 c. butter or margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/3 c. flaked coconut
1 c. chopped pecans

Combine egg yolks, sugar, milk, butter, and vanilla. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened (about 10 minutes). Add coconut and pecans. Stir vigorously until it's thick enough to spread. Makes 3 cups.

1 comment:

Katy said...

Every once in a while I get a craving for that stuff, even though I ate it maybe one time as a kid. Who knew I had it all along!