Sunday, March 18, 2018

Salmon with Cucumber Dill Sauce

Salmon is my favorite. I was craving it while I was at the grocery store yesterday and the guy at the fish counter (I was at Harmon's, btw) bore his testimony of Verlasso Salmon when I asked for salmon. They're raised in ocean water! Not so fishy taste! Vitamins! Whatever - wrap it up. But! It's the best salmon I've ever tasted. We used Allyn's recipe from the second Sisters' Cookbook, but I cut the sauce recipe in half as I always do and that's how I've listed it here. (It's still a lot of sauce.)

Salmon

4-5 lbs. fresh salmon filets

Olive Oil

Lemon Pepper Seasoning

Fresh Chopped Dill or substitute dry dill

Prepare a large cookie sheet by getting a big enough piece of tin foil to cover the bottom of it, then crumpling it up a little and spreading it out flat on the cookie sheet. Spread a little olive oil around with a paper towel on the tin foil.

Place the salmon filets skin side down on the foil-covered cookie sheet. Pour a little olive oil on each filet and rub it in with your fingers. Sprinkle each filet with lemon pepper and then dill. Sometimes I bake the fish in a 425 degree oven for about 17 minutes, which is fine. This time I did 10 minutes in a 425 degree oven, then I moved the fish to the second-to-the-top rack (about six inches from the top of the oven) and broiled it for four more minutes. That made the top a little crisp and it was perfectly cooked throughout without being dry. I recommend the broiled method if you can trust your oven. (Set a timer for 3 minutes on the broiler so you can keep a close eye on it.)

Cucumber Dill Sauce

1 c. peeled, seeded, and diced cucumbers

1 1/2 c. mayonnaise

3/4 c. sour cream

3 T. lemon juice

2 T. fresh or dried dill

3 tsp. lemon pepper seasoning

Whisk together mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, dill and lemon pepper seasoning before adding the cucumber. Refrigerate for a few minutes before serving.

No comments: