Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Split Pea Soup

I made these awesome centerpieces for our Relief Society activity. But now I'm left with a ton of split peas, which I've never cooked with. Ever. My only experience with them is making split pea bags (like bean bags) in Kathy Clark's basement as a child. Heaven help me when my kids start using food storage for their entertainment and experiments.

I make soup when it's cold. My kids ask me what soup we're having for dinner on a daily basis. And they hate all but 1 of them. In fact when this one came out, my oldest said, "Why do you always make food that I don't like?". I know, I'm so mean. I ended up eating all of it because it was awesome. Also, I halved this recipe because I was psychic and predicted that my kids wouldn't eat it. 

Here's the whole thing. 

1 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 cups chopped onions
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups chopped celery
1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 cup yellow split peas
1 cup green split peas (I only had green)
8 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 tsp salt-free seasoning blend (I happened to have a Mrs. Dash table blend on hand)
1 tsp salt

In a large pot over medium heat, heat olive oil. Cook onion, garlic, carrots and celery until onion is fully translucent. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 2.5 hours (I did less, or just until the peas were soft). Puree in a blender, return to pot to keep warm and serve. 

It has the appearance of what I imagine gruel to look like. But it's really good. Also, I forgot the garlic, so I substituted 1/2 tsp garlic salt and reduced the amount of salt I put in. That may be what made it so tasty.

No comments: