Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Granola

I love granola for many reasons, but this one is especially nice because there is no sugar in it and you can store all the ingredients in your food storage. I like things like that. I also make this about 3 times a week and eat nearly the whole thing by myself. It is most excellent with fresh blueberries.
Granola is so easily adapted to what is in your pantry that day, so you can spice things up a different way until you find your favorite combinations.

Mix together

3 cups oats (I've used both Quaker and the quick oats from the #10 cans of food storage. I like the consistency the quick oats give it, but they're both good.)
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped nuts (chopped so they are undetectable to little people, in my case) (slivered almonds, pecans, & walnuts are excellent choices)
1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 to 1 cup dehydrated apple slices, crushed slightly
I also like to throw in 1 Tbsp of ground flax seeds

Combine
1/4 cup canola oil
3 Tbsp maple syrup
3 Tbsp honey

Pour over dry ingredients and mix well.
Heat oven to 250 and spread granola evenly onto a baking sheet. Cook for 1 hour 15 min, stirring half way through. It smells amazing. Enjoy!


No comments: