Thursday, May 6, 2010

Martha Washington Cake, or Fluffy Yellow Cake

All this cake talk is making me very hungry! I thought it would be good to add this wonderful recipe for standard yellow cake to the growing list of "from scratch" cakes. It's from the old 23rd Ward cookbook and I've used it for years.

1 c. shortening
1 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. flour
1/2 (or a little more) tsp. salt
3 tsp. baking powder
1 c. milk
Thoroughly cream shortening and sugar: add eggs and vanilla extract; beat well. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk. Bake in 3 (8-inch) round layered cake pans at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. (You may use any other kind of pan - oblong, cupcakes, 9" pans - just adjust the baking time.)

1 comment:

melissa said...

I was so excited to make fluffy yellow cupcakes for Harrison's fake birthday at school. Then I found out there's a rule about bringing homemade food (not enough starch, I guess). Boooo. I'm definitely making this next time I need cake, though, because it wins the Super Easy Award