Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Quiche au Fromage

Melissa suggested I make this for one of my meals because I was STUMPED and not in the mood to cook. So easy! I felt bad for about a minute that I used a store-bought pie crust (they're so cheap). I think I'll eat the leftovers for breakfast. Quiche is so versatile. This is in the 2nd Sisters' Cookbook in the holiday section. I've made a couple of minor changes.

1 pastry crust
6 large eggs
2/3 c. heavy cream
1 c. milk
8 oz. Swiss cheese (I used a 10 oz. block and grated it)
1 pkg. mini-cubed ham (Hormel)
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Cover the edges of your pie crust with aluminum foil and poke a few holes in the bottom of the crust. Bake the crust for about 15 minutes. Remove foil from edges and set crust aside.

In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream and milk until thoroughly blended. Add ham and stir. Pour the mixture into the pre-baked pie crust. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the top. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese and the nutmeg. Bake for another 10 to 15 minutes.

IMPORTANT - Place the store-bought crust on a cookie sheet or something with an edge so you don't make a mess of your oven. :-)

No comments: